Sunday, October 9, 2011

Joplin, MO - After the May tornado

Growing up in the Ozarks is an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.  From Joplin, MO, to Springfield, up north to Stockton and down south to Branson, the entire area has an overwhelming sense of community.  Everyone is friendly, waves as you pass on the road, is ready to talk your ear off if you'll let him or her and is ready to pitch in whenever anyone needs it.  In a way, it is like you are a part of a huge family, growing up in a safe environment where you know everyone cares about you.  This sense of community is why when the tornado struck in Joplin, all of the surrounding communities were there to help pick up the pieces.

In 2003, my hometown got hit by a tornado, and the one thing that tornado did for our town was bond us in a way that we hadn't experienced in a long time.  I know that many people in my town prayed hard the evening it hit, as I'm sure the many residents of Joplin did the night this tornado hit.  It is always hard to pick up the pieces because of what the city went through, but that is what Joplin has done and will continue to do. 

While in Missouri, in late September, I went through Joplin and was so heart struck by the volunteers still heavy at work. In one parking lot sat a school bus with students from Reeds Springs that had come down for the day to volunteer for a new house going up off 20th street ( a sign of hope).  As I went past Joplin High School the sign read HOPE high school, St. John's hosptial had a huge American Flag draped on the side of it, and the most monumental moment of the day was driving by the church that was lost, but the huge cross made of steel that still stands reminding Joplin residents that God is amongst them.

While there I took some pictures of the destruction caused by the May tornado, if nothing but to send out the reminder that this Ozarks city still needs our help.  I went to college in Joplin, and spent much of my time driving up and down the streets, going to and from school, work, and hanging out with friends.  I was so shocked to see the city in this shape 4 months after the tornado hit, that it made me want to do more than I had already donated.   

It was a reminder to me that day that Joplin still needs our help, and now I hope it stands as a reminder to all I have touched by this article and these pictures .  The city, not only needs volunteers still, but they need our support in monetary value. Anything you can do I know the friendly residents of this southern Missouri town will be thankful.  You can still donate to Joplin's Missouri Southern State University Tornado Emergency Relief Fund by PayPal at www2.mssu.edu/foundation/onlinegift.htm, the Ozarks Red Cross by mailing a check to American Red Cross Greater Ozarks Chapter 1545 N. West ByPass Springfield, MO 65803, or donating to the Ozarks United Way by calling 417-624-0153.  If you prefer to just text a donation you can do so through the Salvation Army by texting "JOPLIN" to 80888 to make a $10 donation.  The pictures of Joplin are below.













No comments:

Post a Comment